Every FIRST is a struggle. No matter how prepared, detailed, and willed you are, when first starting something, it feels like it’s the hardest and toughest thing that you have yet to do in your entire life. Funny and strange, but it’s a fact. So, you see yourself as one of the most successful bloggers on the planet, and you truly believe that blogging is going to be your long-term career goal. But the moment you start writing your first blog, there’s this sudden fog, like your brain is processing a lot of things, your feelings change, and you don’t know where to start.
Could it be confusion? Or fear? Your thoughts are scattered, and it makes you feel stuck. You just can’t begin writing; not even a single word! But don’t worry; you are not the only blogger, or writer for that matter, who has been through this ‘first-time’ stage in their blogging career. In fact, because of their experiences, they have shared their tips and trick on how to overcome them. There are ways to find your vibe in writing your first travel blog post and you will find out everything as this article progresses.
As you start your blog, you will need all the support to get through those first few steps. You can obtain the help from social media shares, thank you emails and messages, comments, and traffic.
Why is it crucial to have a guide when writing your first travel blog?
- Because it will help you prevent making common mistakes.
- Because it will present you with a lot of options to consider.
- Because it will eliminate your doubts, worries, and will instead guide you to produce amazing results even when you have just started your post.
6 THINGS BEFORE YOU GET STARTED WITH YOUR TRAVEL BLOG POST
- Make use of your social media account; even just one of them.
After you set up and launch your blog site, you should also consider building a social media account for your blogs. Even just one account is good so your viewers can easily find you and follow you. At this point, it’s almost impossible to exist on this planet without any social media accounts online.
Although before, websites were just being used for research purposes and to read literary materials, now, they are also being used to search your origin and roots. It seems that it is no longer impossible to find someone online and as technology thrives, you no longer have any choice but to be part of the social media platform. You have a choice of which ones or how many to join, either FACEBOOK or PINTEREST. But it still up to you, which platform works for you best.
Again, you must have at least one social media account if you want to push through with your travel blogging because it can work wonders in promoting your content and blog site in general.
- Have at least Canva or Photoshop ready to create and edit beautiful photos or graphics for your blog post and social media accounts.
Using a photo editing tool or engines like Canva or Photoshop is important to showcase and enhance your blog and posts.
Photoshop is the most used editing platform by professional bloggers and designers because you can easily customize and do pretty much what you want with the photo. While it’s a bit confusing to use the tons of editing options on this tool, if you have the patience to learn it, you can even use your skill to become a graphic artist as a sideline.
Canva, on the other hand, is a great editing and designing tool, especially for posters and banners you will be using to advertise your blog contents on your social media accounts. You can even enjoy using the pre-made and pre-design materials on this tool. It will also save you a lot of time and energy having this kind of application handy.
- Once you have chosen your niche, stick to it. Create contents that are relevant and strictly related to your niche.
The niche that you will be choosing is where your blog site will revolve. Meaning everything that you will be discussing on your blog will all tie back to the niche of your choice. If you wanted a niche about traveling and you are not a well-traveled person, I don’t think it will work out well. Although many travel bloggers create blog content even when they are not traveling but doing so means they have a lot of reserve materials and sources that keep them loaded even when they cannot leave on a trip.
It’s important that you choose a niche before you fire your content out on the internet because your target audience and readers want to know what your blog site is all about and what they will be expecting from it once they’ve landed on your website. This is what you call ‘targeting your audience.’ Once your audience understands what your website can do and provide them, you will have more loyal viewers, and your regular audience will increase. This will create and benefit your SEO standing as well as traffic.
- Don’t invest too much of your time tweaking.
Having a website to manage gives you the freedom to do edits as often as you want and you don’t mind the hours you are spending on it. Mainly, if you are fond of exploring different plugins and themes on your website, you will no longer notice how long you have been doing it.
HEADSUP: Do Not Spend Too Much Tweaking Your Website.
Why? Spending too much on something will stress you out. Besides, you will eventually edit and change it sooner or later once you have learned to gear around your blog site like a pro. It’s a cycle: explore – learn – tweak – apply what you’ve learned – repeat. It’s an inevitable process.
Keep it simple as much as possible since you are just starting this business. The way you work around your blog for the first few months will define how your travel blog site will stand in the coming years.
Just incorporate what you ONLY need on your website and make it look as presentable and professional as possible, then worry about the additional looks of it later.
- Devise a blog posting schedule and strategy.
Before pursuing and posting on your blog site, it is crucial that you have a blog strategy. All the experienced bloggers are doing this, and they will be advising you to do the same thing because they know that it’s what works well.
Part of this strategy is that you should create at least 5-7 contents that are publish-ready the moment your website is ready to go live. This will give your followers the opportunity to get to know you as a blogger better, the intention of your blog and who will be your audience from day one that your blog went live. They will no longer have to check on your website weekly and know what your plan is.
Then schedule a set of blogs which you can post for the first few weeks/months on your blog following the launching of your blog.
If you are having a hard time scheduling it manually, you can use a scheduling tool that will automatically schedule and post your blog weekly so you will no longer worry about that, too. Bluehost, for example, is a great blog host which works well within WordPress.
- Outline your blog post before you dive into writing.
If you wanted to end up with a notable and a fetching blog post, create an outline FIRST all the time. In creating an outline, you are more guided about the length and flow of your blog post. It is highly essential to keep an outline of your blog topic as well as your topic key points.
Outline the points that you can think of choose which is the main topic and the subtopics and leave the rest for your future posts.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to make your blog post complicated or lavish. Just keep it subtle and straightforward as possible.
CREATING YOUR FIRST BLOG POST OUTLINE
Now that you know the importance of an outline, here are a few tips in constructing an outline for your blog.
- Ask yourself the following questions:
- How important is this topic for you?
- What will your audience take home with them after visiting your blog?
- Are there necessary steps that the user needs to take?
- The Fundamental Structure Of A Blog Post Outline
- Title Ideas
- Prepare at least 10 titles which you can choose from.
- Introduction: provide your audience with reasons to read and visit your blog.
- Basic Content
- Split your contents into different sections.
- Make use of subheadings and bulleted lists.
- Make it a habit to call your audience to act on something. Encourage them to ask questions, comment, and request them to share.
- List the keywords you have in mind.
- Make links to various sources.
- Content Upgrade
- Add some bonus contents or surprises that will excite your subscribers.
- Title Ideas
HERE’S YOUR GUIDE TO WRITING YOUR FIRST TRAVEL BLOG POST: 5 TIPS
Every blogger has their methods and style in creating blog posts. While others just jump on the bandwagon and write whatever they desire, and some prefer planning and researching before starting to type their content.
Your goal should be to gather traffic to your website, and that means that you have to find ways and keywords that will weight so much on your blog and even ask your audience questions to catch their attention.
- Check with Google the nature of the subject that you wanted to write about. You will see a list of suggestions on its drop-down menu list which will show you the most searched topics all over the internet – what category gets searched for the most. This is your chance to find out amazing ideas about various topics that you can also talk about in your blog post from a different angle.
- The moment you have completed your search, you can scroll directly to the bottom of the query page, and you will find out that there is still a wide range of results that are relevant as the subject that you are searching. You can also use this information and pitch it into your blog – although it’s not advisable. On the other hand, you can have a great ranking potential in Google.
To avoid your post looking spammy, you can scatter the most searched topics on your post in a way so that it will still look like a well-thought-out material.
- Given that you already have a collection of questions and words that can serve as a foundation of your blog post, you can begin writing! Hence, before you work your fingers through your keyboard or start drafting your outline, take time in checking out the following tips that you should also keep in mind when constructing a travel blog content.
- Just keep your paragraphs short but beefy, because the majority of your readers prefer to scan a page than read a long post.
- Add engaging and attractive images and graphics. The effect of visual elements will help you gather more audience to your page, and more readers will eventually be attracted to your content.
- Avoid grammatical errors and mistakes. A not-so-well constructed content will potentially turn your audiences off and drive your possible viewers away from your page, and they will find your page unprofessional in the eyes of Google’s and your readers’.
- Ask every question you can think of to yourself. After that, you can go ahead and search for the answers to those questions you have assembled and include them in your post.
- Divide your blog content into sections. Present them in question-like forms and use them to link other contents within your blog. It makes your writing much easier and less complicated to construct.
- Set aside all the links and sources that could veer your attention and confuse your ideas. Some travel bloggers separate their screens in two; the other half is designated for the outline, while the remaining half is for the blog content. This enables them to distinguish and identify the keywords that they have and often used as well as the topic that they wish to discuss as straightforward as possible.
- Try to keep track of your time to monitor your productivity. It will give you an overview of the projects that you can easily finish and those that take most of your time. It also gives you a data analysis of the time you have spent in writing and constructing a new travel blog post.
In that way, you can easily find ways to control yourself to pay too much attention to one thing and start practicing a balanced timeline.
If starting a blog seems overwhelming to some, deciding what to write is twice as confusing as beginning one.
To avoid the situation to take its toll on you, it’s better to find out some of the best blog ideas that you can consider for your first blog content.
A LIST OF BLOG POST IDEAS FOR FIRST TIME BLOGGERS
- If you know by heart a step-by-step procedure of anything related to travel or adventure, write an ultimate guide about it. Just make sure to link internal and external sites into your content and appropriately inform them once your post has been successfully published online.
- If you are passionate about something, research it, and create content out of it.
- Impart some analysis and figures about the topic; some people find it more interesting seeing posts with data and statistical information.
- Make a list of relevant quotes about your topic.
- Specifically, itemize the process of how to make something.
- Share your tips and strategy in finding results.
- Write down some of the techniques used by other famous bloggers.
- Creating templates will save you and other visitors more time to do other things.
- Share your ideas on how to earn something from travel blogging.
- Impart your tips on how to do something better and faster.
- Identify the most common problem your audience encounters every day and state some ways on how to solve them.
- Think about the things that inspire you the most and compose an inspiring content about it.
- If holidays are starting to knock at your doorstep, write an amazing travel idea and excite your users with some special holiday treats.
- Take out a bit of truth about your Pandora’s Box so your audience can get to know you better and be inspired about your craft.
- Try a crowdsourcing post asking your online friends or community to join the discussion and invite them to interact with other people in the network.
- Suggest other interesting materials and bloggers to your audience.
- Write content about comparing one thing from another.
- Inform your audience about some free courses or products that you think will excite them or inspire them. Keep a list of great perks, freebies or special prizes, link them to your network and update them regularly about it to keep the hype.
- Write an interesting FAQ related to your travels.
- Point out the authoritative travel bloggers within your topic and showcase what is similar between them.
- Share your daily tricks and how you can reach your everyday target using those tricks.
- Collect the questions most of your viewers are asking on online forums such as Reddit, and Quora.
- Join groups with the same field as yours on social media and get to answer questions or inquiries being posted or raised there.
- Rely on your audience to share some helpful hacks that they will thank you for.
- Highlight some of the famous and sought-after travel bloggers and share with your target audience some of their best blogs that inspire you.
- Write something about your plans, what challenges you, and tips about life which you think people will appreciate.
- Thinking about some dos and don’ts about traveling and sharing it with your audience is such great content.
- Introduce in your post some of the greatest influencers you had in your life.
- If you have any book or tutorials that you wanted to share with your target audience about life and productivity, please do share them.
- Always get to answer your followers’ questions if any.
- Identify the skills that are important in the travel blogging profession.
- What lessons can your audience can learn from traveling.
- If you are to rate a travel destination, go ahead and do it.
- Reach out or call the attention of other travel bloggers and plan collaboration; there will surely be a great relationship that will transpire.
- Do not forget to write some of their best wishes and notes.
- Direct a video tutorial about how something is being done or executed.
- Go back to your most famous blog post and talk about it from a different perspective.
- Tell the latest update about a country or a travel destination.
- Identify some mistakes of travel bloggers and link it back to your reflection about your blog and life.
- Share a blog about other travel bloggers, acknowledge the owner of the blog, and tell the people why that blog had inspired so much in so many ways.
- Write a post about something that you love and identify the reasons why.
- Share your most favorite WordPress plugin or tool.
- Talk about the best places you will never forget in your traveling career.
- What are the challenges of travel bloggers?
HOW TO GET EVERYONE’S ATTENTION TO READ YOUR TRAVEL BLOG
Now that your blogs are ready to go live, here are some tips to get people to read your posts and contents.
- Share your blog site link on all social media platforms.
You can have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or YouTube if you are fond of sharing videos, as well as Pinterest through your blog’s name and brand logo, doing it sooner can attract more people to check out your post.
- Having your blog’s URL recognized by Google and other notable search engines is a great edge.
This is to guarantee that your post is listed on these famous search engines. Now do not expect immediate results because these things do not happen overnight.
- Ask help for your family and friends.
Request and ask them to share your posts and blog site. Tell them to invite their friends and other connections to check out your website and what they can expect from it. Use your network to let the whole universe know that you have created a great post and are managing a promising travel website.
Rule of thumb: if you are starting your first travel blog, make sure that it will provide help to your target audience. Internalize well about what your feelings are in creating a travel blog post. Think about the things you are confident about and the topics that will inspire you to write it better and post it.
Keep a note of all the ideas that come into mind every single day.
Do not overthink, JUST KEEP ON WRITING. Remember that publishing your blog content and creating a post works hand in hand.
Although there is a gazillion of travel blog posts and bloggers out there, you can always find a way to stand out and show the world how different you are compared to other travel bloggers. Find your key strength and use it to your advantage, since most blogs online are not as interesting as those that are emerging in this present era. Of course, the notable bloggers of various niches are unquestionably established, and you know that their journey was not as easy as it was today – talking about technology, specifically.
Since it’s your first blog, aim for it to be a big one. Think of a topic that will spread out and thrive on its own. Besides, who won’t be interested in a topic about traveling and the amazing experiences you can bring home with you. Create a blog post that will divert the mood of your target audience positively. Make them feel connected to your blog, and they will never regret coming across your posts.
Keep in mind that you are writing for the people and just for you to become known just like the rest. Stick in keeping your post packed with quality and relevant information about traveling and blogging. Once your audience finds out how consistent you are, they will always be looking forward to your next blog posts.